As a Mormon who struggles with chronic depression, I’ve spent a lot of time searching for LDS resources on depression and suicide prevention. Listed below are some of the most helpful talks and articles that I have found.
Before you read/listen to them, I want you to know that I have used these resources in conjunction with proper medical and professional help. Please understand that there is absolutely no shame in seeking outside help.
- Christ-Centered Healing from Depression and Low Self-Worth – Carrie M. Wrigley gave this powerful speech at the 2005 BYU Education Week. It remains one of my all-time favorite talks on depression.
- Dealing With Depression and Mental Illness – A blogpost on Mormon.org containing links to several resources on depression.
- Living After the Manner of Happiness – A BYU-Idaho Devotional address by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland in September 2014. Although his remarks are not specifically about depression, Elder Holland does share some profound insight about the “pursuit of happiness.” I’ve found his advice to be very helpful.
- Upon the Top of the Waters – A thoughtful article from the October 2014 Ensign.
- Lessons From Liberty Jail – This is (in my opinion) one of Elder Holland’s greatest talks. Many of the ideas, themes, and principles he teaches can be applied to feelings of depression.
- Dealing With Depression – A Mormon.org blog post that shares the story of Jenny Hess, a mother who struggled with depression after the loss of her child.
- When Your Child Is Depressed – An article for parents whose children are battling chronic depression.
- Why Is My Wife (or Husband) Depressed? – A great article for those who are trying to understand their spouse’s struggle.
- My Battle With Depression – In this article, a young woman tells the story of her prolonged battle with depression. She then shares five insights that helped her deal with her darker days.
- Do Not Despair – In this October 1974 Conference address, President Benson shares a dozen gospel-centered ideas to fighting depression and despair.
- Like a Broken Vessel – A powerful talk by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, wherein he speaks openly and directly about depression and offers his advice, counsel, and comfort.
- 4 Lessons of Hope I Learned From My Sister’s Suicide – LDS author Ganel-lyn Condie shares personal and hopeful insight after her sister’s suicide.
- Suicide: Some Things We Know, and Some Things We Do Not – A thoughtful article written by Elder Ballard that summarizes Mormon doctrine concerning suicide.
- Nine Things You Shouldn’t Say to a Depressed Loved One (And What to Say Instead) – An article in LDS Living that offers helpful suggestions for supporting someone who is struggling with depression.
- Sitting on the Bench: Thoughts on Suicide Awareness and Prevention – A Mormon Message about suicide awareness and prevention.